2016-17 History Department Seminar Series
Nancy Christie (History, Western)
"Dardanella and Peter: Intimacy in World War I"
Eli Nathans (History, Western)
"Is America Strong Enough? Peter von Zahn and the Cold War Broadcasts to West Germany"
Geoffrey Stewart (History, Western)
"Ngô Đình Diệm's Lost Revolution: Development and State Formation in the Republic of Vietnam"
Karen Balcom (History, McMaster)
"The Back Door In: Transnational Adoption and Racial Exclusion Laws in the Post-WWII United States"
David H. Levy (Canadian Astronomer)
"Poetry of the Night: Reading the Historical Night Sky Through English Poetry"
Robert MacDougall (History, Western)
"Something for Nothing: The Keely Motor vs. the Laws of Thermodynamics"
Brock Millman (History, Western)
"All's Well That Ends Well: Tshekedi Khama and the Genesis of Modern Botswana, 1949-1959"
2015-16 History Department Seminar Series
Amy Bell (History, Huron)
"Abortion Crime Scene Photography in Metropolitan London 1950-1968”
Maya Shatzmiller (History, Western)
“Paper, Books, and Purchasing Power in the Medieval Islamic Middle East”
Jim Miller (History, University of Saskatchewan)
“Canadians Confront Their History: Residential Schools and Reconciliation”
Marlene Shore (History, York)
“Prophets of the Psyche: Psychology as a Harbinger of Modernism”
Dimitry Anastakis (History, Trent)
“Are We There Yet? Rethinking Canada’s 1970s History and Historiography”
Dimitry Anastakis' Profile & Publications
Adele Perry (History, Univ. of Manitoba)
“Love and Rule: Gender, Intimacy, and Nineteenth-Century Politics”
Karen Balcom (History, McMaster)
"The Back Door In: Transnational Adoption and Racial Exclusion Laws in the Post-WWII United States”
February 18 – Reading Week
Juanita DeBarros (History, McMaster)
"Colonial Children and Imperial Institutions in the Caribbean”
2014-15 History Talks
Geoff Stewart, Sarah Wobick-Segev (History, Western)
- Professional Development Workshop[PDW]: "Navigating the Academic Job Market"
Nassisse Solomon (History, Western)
- McCaffrey Graduate Student series [McC]: "Of Canadian Concern: Why the Abyssinian Crisis of the Second World War Served as Canada’s Call to Action for Social Mobilization against Tyranny & Racial Impunity"
Geoff Read (History, Huron)
- Departmental Seminar Series [DSS]: "Prisoners of Their Sex: Gender, Race, & Women's Suffrage in Interwar France"
Claire Halstead (History, Western)
- McC: "No Longer Faceless or Spaceless: Databasingthe Migration of British Child Evacuees in Canada in the Second World War"
Gregg French, Alan MacEachern, Steve Marti (History, Western)
- Special time (11:30), special session (for MA History students): "The MA Cognate & Archival Research"
Francine McKenzie, Tyler Turek, Jonathan Vance (History, Western)
- PDW: "Putting Pen to Paper: Writing Your Thesis"
Ian Milligan (History, Waterloo)
- DSS: "Historians &Web Archives: How They Will Complement, Challenge, & “Computationalize” Our Profession"
Jon Malek (History, Western)
- McC: "The Pearl of the Prairies: Filipinos in Manitoba, 1959-2013"
Peter Kikkert, Eli Nathans (History, Western)
- PDW: "Educating Others: Preparing a Teaching Dossier"
Michelle Hutchinson-Grondin (History, Western)
- McC: "Sexducators: Oral Histories with Those Who Taught Sex during the Sexual Revolution"
Jim Daschuk (Kinesiology & Health Studies, Regina)
- DSS: "Clearing the Plains & Clearing the Air: How Researching Aboriginal Health Has Led to Some Uncomfortable Truths about Canada's Past & Present"