Frequently Asked Questions

Is Lawson Hall open on the weekends so I can drop off an assignment/take-home exam to the drop box?

Lawson Hall is secured on the weekends, so access to the drop box closes at 10pm (approx.) on Friday evening.  In order to have your essay "date stamped," accurately, email a copy of the essay to your instructor, with a note indicating that hard copy of the essay will be submitted to the drop box.  You should confirm that this is acceptable with your instructor.

When can I apply to the History program?

You can apply to the History program after you have completed 5.0 credits in first year. The time period to apply is in February and March during the Intent to Register period. The Intent to Register period runs each year. Each student in every year is required to participate. This lets the University know what program you are interested in pursuing for your academic career.

What programs are available in the History department?

  • History - Honors Specialization, Specialization, Major, Minor
  • International Relations - Honors Specialization
  • Jewish Studies Major and Minor
  • Middle East Studies Major
  • American Studies – Honors Specialization, Major, Minor
  • Public History Minor

Can I take a course at an affiliate college?

Students can take a maximum of 1.0 course at an affiliate college. “Main campus students require home faculty permission” indicates that you must receive special permission before being allowed to enroll in the Affiliate course. “Restricted to students registered at an affiliated college” indicates that this course is closed to Main Campus students, but permission to enroll can be requested from the History Department. Permission will not be granted if the course at the affiliate college is offered on main campus.

What is a special permission?

A special permission is used by a student when they need to receive approval from their home faculty of registration for something that would not be allowed under usual circumstances. An example is when a student needs to take a course without the stated prerequisite(s). The student will need to first obtain in writing permission from the instructor of the course to enrol in the course without having the required prerequisite. The student needs to then take the signed document to the department the course is offered from (ie History) where they can start the special permission process. The Department of History will fill out a special permission form for the student with the specific request on it, with the student’s signature. The department will then send the form to the student’s home faculty of registration for approval.

How long does it take for a special permission to be processed?

Special Permissions take about 5 business days to be processed, but in high demand periods can take up to 10 business days.

How do I add the course once my special permission has been processed?

You will be notified via e-mail once the permission has been processed. If the special permission to take a course has been approved, you will need to call the Registrar’s office helpline to add the course. Their number is 519-661-2100.

With whom do I speak regarding the programs that the History department offers?

Please contact Rebecca Northcott, Undergraduate Advisor at 519-661-84962,

With whom do I speak about changing my degree module?

You will need to see the academic counselling office of your home faculty of registration.

If a course is full, can I get special permission to enter the class?

The History Department is not going above course capacity for the academic year.

I've tried registering, but it won't work. Why?

The Registrar's office assigns registration appointment times for all students based on Intent to Register. These appointments are the first time that you are allowed access to on-line registration. Since courses can fill quickly, it is recommended that you register as soon as you are able.

Registration appointment dates begin mid-June. The earliest registration dates are assigned first to 4th year students, 3rd year, and then 2nd year. Please consult the academic calendar for beginning and end dates for web registration. Check your Student Centre website and follow MyPossibilities to find your registration appointment date.

If you did not complete Intent to Register, you won't be assigned an appointment date and will be unable to register. Please contact your home faculty's Academic Counselling office for a late Intent to Register (for Social Science: download Request for Degree Change).

If you are having problems adding courses through on-line registration, try contacting the Registration Telephone Help Line 519-661-2100 available Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.