Biographical Dictionary of Canadian Engineers

Edited by
Rod Millard

LUMSDEN, Hugh David , b. 4 Sept. 1844, Belhelvie Lodge, Aberdeenshire, Scotland; d. 19 Oct. 1928. Educated at Belhevie Academy and Wimbledon School, Surrey, England, he came to Canada in 1861 and worked as a provincial land surveyor (commissioned 1866) at Woodville, Upper Canada, until 1870, when he was responsible for the location of the northerly part of the Toronto and Nipissing Railway under Edmund Wragge. He subsequently worked on the location or construction of several railways including the location of parts of the Credit Valley; Toronto, Grey and Bruce; Northern; Georgian Bay branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway; the location and construction of the Ontario and Quebec (Toronto to Perth); Smiths Falls to Vaudreuil (CPR); St. Johns to Lennoxville (Que.), and Holeb to Mattawamkeg in Maine. He was supervising engineer of the location and construction of the Qu'Appelle, Long Lake and Saskachewan and Calgary and Edmonton Railways (Northwest Territories); Rigaud to Ottawa; Crow's Nest Pass Railway; Lethbridge to Kootenay Landing, and numerous branches of the CPR. He was chief engineer of the Eastern Division of the National Transcontinental Railway from 1904 to 1909, when he entered private practice. A member of the Institution of Civil Engineers of Great Britain, he joined the Canadian Society of Civil Engineers in 1887, served on its council, was elected vice president (1898), and president in 1906. He was Reeve of Eldon Township and president of the Eldon Agricultural Society in 1870. He was also a commissioned officer (gazetted Captain 1876), and a member of the Toronto Club and the Rideau Club, Ottawa. A Protestant, he married Mary Frederica Whitney in 1885.

Rhea Harris