Biographical Dictionary of Canadian Engineers

Edited by
Rod Millard

VAUGHAN, Henry Hague , b. 28 Dec. 1868, Forest Hill, Kent, Eng; d. 11Dec. 1942, Philadelphia. Educated at Forest Hill School and King's College, London, he began his career as an apprentice in England and then worked for several British and American railways as an engineer, before joining the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1904. The following year, he was responsible for the design and construction of locomotives and cars, as well as the maintenance of equipment east of Fort William. He standardized CPR locomotives, simplifying maintenance, and was a pioneer in the successful application of superheated steam to locomotives, among other important innovations. During the First World War, as superintendent of the CPR's Angus Shops, Montreal, he played a leading role improving and developing machinery for the mass production of shells and cartridge cases, one of Canada's principal contributions to the war effort. He was vice president of the Dominion Bridge Company from 1916 to 1920, and then entered private practice. The first president of the Engineering Institute of Canada (formerly the Canadian Society of Civil Engineers) in 1918, he attempted to unite all branches of the profession, and, although initially opposed to licensing, supported the creation of restrictive provincial licensing associations. He was a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers of Great Britain, was vice president of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers in 1910 and 1923, and was active in the Canadian Engineering Standards Association. He belonged to the Mount Royal Club and the St. James Club, Montreal. He married Helen Maura Polk of St. Paul, Minnesota and they had two sons.

Diana Teresa Tovar